one more jew trying to transcend narrowness

10.01.2007

Becoming?

Chag sameach, if a bit belatedly. This blog has gotten neglected a bit in my many goings-on relating to wine, food and Spain. We are on our way across the country right now, unemployed and homeless, so I find myself with more time on my hands.

I have also had an interesting turn of events as I was preparing to leave. In saying goodbye to Rabbi Lerner, he has started to encourage me to become a rabbi. The thought is not entirely his own, as it’s something I’ve half-seriously contemplated in the past. The rabbi, however, has put on the full-court pressure since our conversation, not letting a meeting go by without discussing it. As we broke the fast last week, he brought it up again. I hardly got any sleep that night, turning the idea around in my head very seriously for the first time.

After this many years, I have gotten to know myself and my passions. They run strong for a while before dissipating into nothing or becoming a real part of my psyche. So, I’m going to sit with this for a while and see where it goes. Christina likened it to the decision to get a tattoo — you let it percolate for about a year and then see how you feel about it. So, that will be the new energy for this blog: percolation.

It will be interesting to see what transpires in the course of the next year. From what I understand, Seville doesn’t have much of a (progressive) Jewish community, and Spain as a whole has very few Jews. I will be curious how our observances will play out and how that will affect my thoughts.

Stay tuned!

No comments: