one more jew trying to transcend narrowness

6.05.2007

Renewal Weekend

Spent the weekend at the annual Beyt Tikkun retreat in Marin. Still speechless about most of my experience of the weekend. I had an incredibly moving prayer experience during the Saturday morning Amidah, which we did outside. It was like a weight lifted, my heart wrenched open, tears flowed, and my ego dissolved for a blinding moment of G-d's love. It's hard being back in real life still, like an abrupt stop to a speeding roller-coaster.

A big part of the experience was meditating for 45 minutes before services. Ironically, this particular meditation was part of the tzuris I shed while praying. I had offered an early-morning group meditation and spent a fair amount of time preparing a brief connections teaching. For a variety of reasons which are beside the point, no one showed up. While I was able to center and fly a bit, I was still more than a little miffed... No matter, though. I usually spend the first one third to one half of any given prayer service getting out of my head. This time, I was able to snap right to openness. Ergo the above experience, I presume.

Amberly & I are still working through the whole fertility thing. Suffice it to say we are facing the potential decision of whether or not to go high-tech in our quest for parenthood. Moral & spiritual dilemmas abound. More on that another post, however.

Rabbi Lerner gave a great teaching on the Amidah on Sunday -- ways of accessing the weekday prayer, step by step. Pretty killer.

No comments: