one more jew trying to transcend narrowness

10.01.2006

My Personal Al Cheyt

I want to add my voice to the multitude with a forgiveness of myself, as a vehicle for both forgiving others and setting a right path for the coming year.

Forgive me for:
Letting myself be guided by the fear of what might not be, instead of the possibility of what could;
Not realizing that I have enough and I am enough;
Holding on to material things and letting them substitute for the experiences and meaning I associate with them;
Not releasing tension;
Being beholden to my ego;
Not reaching out to others often enough;
Allowing myself to get caught up in the judgements of others;
Not recognizing the spirit of Gd in others;
Wishing I was somewhere other than where I am;
Not letting go and trusting;
Splitting myself from the reality of the universe;
Not seeing that I am one with the earth;
Being lazy, mentally, emotionally, and physically;
Not taking care of my body, my heart, and my soul;
Distracting myself from the task at hand;
Not being part of the solution;

For all these shortcomings, may the Force that makes forgiveness possible forgive me, pardon me, and make at-one-ment possible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hooray David! I'm so happy to learn that you found time for reflection in the Jewish new year. I did too- really asking myself what I want to do to be a better dude in the new year. Began listening to a LOT of music again... so glad I ditched wma for itunes this past winter.
Stephanie and I just switched from Shir Shalom on Orchard Lake Rd. to the Birmingham Temple (which you may recall was my first choice when we moved to Michigan). But it was Steph who pushed for the move, so we're all feeling very much at home there. Enrolled Becca in once-a-month pre-K at the hebrew school there. The Rabbi (Kolton) is fabulous, and her Yom Kippur service was so meaningful!
All my love to you and Amberly,
-Steve