one more jew trying to transcend narrowness

10.08.2006

Bentsching Gomel


Baby smash.JPG
Originally uploaded by Amberly & David.
The prayer of Gomel is said when returning from a dangerous journey. I would certainly count Friday as such! I was rear-ended on the Golden Gate Bridge while stopped in traffic. My poor car took the brunt of the impact. We shall see what insurance and the body shop can do. This brings up a couple of things for me.

The first relates to Sukkot. I spent the better part of yesterday in rabbi Lerner's sukkah with the congregation, praying, drashing and studying about sukkot and ecclesiastes. The topic of impermanence, so prevalent in our discussions in the temporary dwelling, really hit home for me.

For the last eight years, my car (Bionic Baby, nee Baby) has been a pretty permanent fixture in my life. At 135k miles, I was figuring it would be for a few years more. With the very real possibility of the car being marked up as a total loss, the prospect of being carless is very freeing. We are looking into the possibility of using City Carshare for our driving needs, and not dealing with having a car for a while. What a concept! The smashing of my car has brought about a wonderful feeling of freedom.

Secondly, the prayer of Gomel. We said an ad hoc version of it yesterday in the sukkah. It was really amazing to surround myself with people in my time of needing healing (somewhat for my minor whiplash, and more for my bruised and traumatized psyche). Thanks to everybody there. I found the transliteration online, and also found that it is only meant to be said with a minyan. This makes sense, since the act is necessarily one that needs a community to complete it.

I want to share that communal prayer with you, and ask you to give me that spiritual feedback in whichever way you want. I include the traditional response below as well.

Baruch Atah adonay eloheynu melech ha’olam shegomel lechayavim tovot shegmalani kol tov.
Blessed are you, Lord, our Gd, Ruler of the Universe, who bestows good to the living and who has dealt great goodness upon me.

Baruch atah adonay eloheynu melech ha’olam shehechiyanu vikiyamanu vehigianu lazman hazeh.
Blessed are you, Lord, our Gd, Ruler of the Universe, for giving us life, for sustaining us, and for enabling us to reach this day.

Communal Response:
Mi shegmalcha kol tuv hu yigmalcha kol tov selah.
May the One who has been gracious (or shown kindness) to you continue to favor you with all that is good (show kindness to you) forever.

Ameyn

No comments: