one more jew trying to transcend narrowness

8.26.2006

Learning to Fly

Since our return from India nearly four months ago, I have taken up a meditation practice. In some ways, this makes me feel quintessentially California, and maybe that's all it is - I've been in SF too long. But maybe there's something to it. It seems that all the roads to enlightenment go through meditation.

I call it learning to fly. By that, I mean the meditative state of consciousness without thought, alertness without inner dialogue, or whatever other phrase you want to use to describe the nut of the matter. I sit every morning (with a couple of exceptions per week), but I'm just a hatchling - I don't take flight very often. When I do, however, it's like nothing else! I've never had an addictive personality, but I have to say I'm hooked.

Further posts will hopefully be more enlightening than this one. I just felt I needed to start this site today.

No comments: